Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Mystery Plant

This plant sprang up in one of out garden beds. I thought it might be some kind of weed, but I left it because I was not sure what it was.


After doing a lot of searching... It turns out this is a White Moth Mullein or Verbascum blattaria. It is a biennial plant belonging to the Scrophulariacea (Figwort) family. This plant is from Eurasia and has naturalized in most of North America. So it is largely considered to be a weed. It is declared a noxious weed in some areas?



Despite the fact that it can be invasive and a weed, I think it is rather charming. I will leave it for now and see if any spring up next year and see how much of a problem it is? Apparently its seeds have one of the longest dormancy periods ever recorded?

Hope you learned something!


- Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment