Monday, June 17, 2013

Handsome Herbs

There is nothing quite as aromatic as picking and cooking with fresh herbs. The flavors they bring to food make it that much better! This year we planted some common herbs on a sunny southern slope below our house in full view of our kitchen window. We sort of cheated and bought most of the ones you see here, rather than started them from seed ourselves. Maybe we will next year!
 
Mammoth Sweet Basil / Ocimum basilicum 'Mammoth Sweet'
 
 
These little guys are basil that I actually did plant from some seed I had. Only a few germinated from the dozen or so I planted...
 
Genovese O Cummune Basil / Ocimum basilicum 'Genovese O Cummune'
 
 
Italian Oregano / Origanum vulgare 'Italian' 
 
 
Italian Green Parsley / Petroselinum crispum 'Italian Green Parsley'
 
 
Arp Rosemary / Rosmarinus officinalis 'Arp'
 
 
We also bought some peppers from a guy at my dad's work when they were little seedlings. We planted them outside just before our last frost date and they got hit hard. They are just now starting to look much healthier.
 
I believe the two on the left are Green Bell Pepper and the one on the right is Red Bell Pepper.
 
This little guy is finally coming up. I planted some pepper from seed, and this one seems to be the only survivor...
 
Douce D'Espagne (Pimiento) Pepper
 
 
One last note: That Tree Swallow that I have been watching, was perched on top of his little bird house this morning and I got some shots of him in all his shiny glory!
 
 


- Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment