Friday, August 23, 2013

Woodland Skipper

The other day I was out watering the garden and I noticed the oregano plant had little orange butterflies all over it! These little guys were flitting from one bloom to the next...


Of course I had to figure out what kind of butterfly they were! After doing some searching and comparisons to some photos online, I determined they were a kind of Skipper Butterfly.



While looking through the super zoom camera lens it can be hard to find the little buggers, especially when they turn...


I determined that specifically they are Woodland Skipper Butterflies or Ochlodes sylvanoides. They are considered a very common species that range from British Columbia south to southern California and east to Montana, Colorado, and Arizona.


Woodland Skipper / Ochlodes sylvanoides


Look at the proboscis, or the tongue, that they use to collect nectar!


 I learned something new today... I hope you did too!


- Dan


No comments:

Post a Comment