Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Pear Pickin'

Today I finally buckled down and started a way, way overdue task... Our long neglected pear tree has been picked! Witness the carnage of lost souls, er pears, under our tree that were unfortunately not picked.


I used our fruit picker basket. It comes in handy for getting those really high pears!


The little claws (or teeth?) on the basket are the secret to picking. Just guide it gently under the pear and get the stem between the claws and pull... If the pear is ready to be picked it will come free easily and if not... well you just take down the branch with it! Probably not the best scenario but oh well...


Look at these beautiful green pears compared to the bee invested ones on the ground! I had to watch my step the whole time for fear of making the bees and wasps angry.


I ended up picking about two 5 gallon buckets today... They were kind of heavy, notice the broken handle on the white bucket.


I think we are planning on dehydrating these pears to make some tasty snacks! I will show you if and when we do!


- Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment