Thursday, September 5, 2013

Plums

I meant to post this the other day... but one thing drove out another. So here it is. We planted a small plum tree a few years ago and this year it produced a couple plums for us!


I noticed them a week or so ago. I did not pick them because I thought they needed to turn more purple... turns out that they are actually an old European variety called Green Gage or Reine Claude. It's apparently a semi-dwarf plum tree that produces a small to medium, greenish-yellow skinned plum. SO, I let them stay on the tree too long.


However, they were still quite tasty! Check out the very sweet amber flesh. The skin was a little more bitter. According to the label, it has unsurpassed flavor and is considered one of the finest dessert plums. We got this one because it is well adapted to cold regions and is self-fertile.



- Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment